BEST RECIPE FOR BAKED KALE CHIPS
The recipe for Baked Kale Chips, which I’m gonna introduce in this blog, turns the idea of healthy chips into a reality. There are different reasons to choose it: it tastes divine, it’s healthy and a marvelous way to have some greens into your eating process. Meanwhile, it’s easy to make; you just need 5 ingredients to make this mouth-watering snack.
It’s fantastic, yup? That’s why I love these chips to the Mars and back 🙂
And I am not the only one; it’s also among my friends’ favorites. I guess they love me mostly because of Kales, cause I never leave them without off it every time they visit me. It’s the inseparable snack of our everyday gathherings. Kale chips are literally for everybody. Even my 5-year-old nephews are fond of them, and I never refuse their request to baking it for them.
Here is one proof that these vegetable crispy chips can be enjoyed by all, especially when they are made by this recipe. It’s when they are baked low and slow with an almond meal coating. They can keep their crispiness even for some days, in case you store them.
But hold on! I haven’t yet told you all the benefits of this snack: it’s vegan, sugar-free, grain-free, and paleo. And one more thing, the chips won’t get soggy, if you decide to keep them for later. But I don’t think you could resist the temptation and store them. You can’t stop by just eating one and will discover yourself eaten the whole cup of Kale chips repeating the sentence ‘this is my last one, no more” over and over again…
So, if I succeeded convince you, let’s go on! But keep in mind the most crucial aspect of making these chips: bake them low and slowly; otherwise, your whole efforts will be useless.
TIPS FOR MAKING KALE CHIPS PROPERLY
If you want to cook something and get fantastic results, it’s crucial to understand; matters not only what you bake but also how you bake it. The same is with Kale chips. That’s why I’ll introduce you to some essential steps to follow during the cooking process. With the help of these tips, the fantastic and healthy Kale Chips are guaranteed.
Here are the key steps…
- DON’T USE STALK, ONLY LEAVES!
Kale stalks are mostly rough and even baking can’t contribute for them to be chewed easily. Hence, you had better use only Kale leaves for the chips, and discard the stalks. You can throw them away or do whatever you want with them. Anyway, you won’t use the stalks for these chips.
- HIGH-QUALITY OLIVE OIL IS A MUST
Another significant factor that you must follow while baking these chips is making them with good olive oil. High-quality oils help your Kales test divine.
- DISTRIBUTE THE OLIVE OIL USING YOUR HANDS
This part of the making process appeals to me most of all. When you have already added the oil to Kale leaves, start massaging the leaves using your hands. This is for spreading the oil and distributing it entirely to the whole mass. Remember, all the leaves must get some oil. Otherwise, they will not become crispy after baking them. At the same time, they make the Kale leaves tender.
- ENJOY BAKING SLOWLY
And last but not least, bake Kale chips slowly and under the low temperature. Otherwise, you will get burnt and, at the same time, soggy Kale leaves. In my case, it usually takes 40 minutes, but believe me, they worth it. This low baking process ensures crispiness and wonderful taste for your Kale chips.
Hence, you don’t need to rush here and enjoy the baking process to make your chips crispy. I want to mention also that 40 minutes isn’t a must and the temperature and the time of baking depend on the size of the leaves.
CAN YOU STORE CHIPS FOR LATER EATING?
Definitely yes! But before storing them into the container, make sure that the chips have become cool as they need to remain crispy. Otherwise, they will stay moist and we all know that the moisture is number one enemy for soggy chips.
For storing your chips, you can use containers with a loosely-fitting lid or loosely covered plastic wrap. Some cooks tell that airtight containers can be used for this purpose. But it’s not useful in this case and for the Kale chips made according to this recipe.
WHY ARE KALE CHIPS HEALTHY?
If you are a big fan of chips, but you also worry about your health and weight, then Kale chips are what you really need. They are a great alternative for regular chips, as they are protein-rich, have low calories, meanwhile, they are very nutritious.
Here is the nutritional value for 0,5 cup of kale chips:
- Calories: 62.3kcal
- Carbohydrates: 6.2g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1.3g
- Sodium: 52.4mg
- Potassium: 222.3mg
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Vitamin A: 13280IU
- Vitamin C: 55mg
- Calcium: 78mg
- Iron: 1mg
If you are fond of snacks and want some other recipes for healthy snacks you can enjoy these Oven-roasted Chickpeas (link for chickpea recipes).
HOW TO MAKE KALE CHIPS MORE DELICIOUS AND HEALTHIER?
Let me introduce, also some substitutions which you can use for making chips according to this recipe.
The delicious Kale chips are guaranteed if you use the following types of Kale; Curly, Siberian, Redbor, etc. I have prepared already with all these Kale varieties and get fantastic results.
Instead of olive oil you can use also avocado oil and canola oil. The crispy results are guaranteed.
Garlic salt is also a proper substitution for these chips, but if you don’t have garlic salt, you can use sea salt and garlic powder.
Another supplement can be an almond meal; however, almond flour is also welcomed for this recipe. What refers to the oil, you can use not only olive oil but also avocado and canola oils. They can also be a great solution for making the chips.
And in the end, I am writing for you here the whole recipe for baking these Kale chips, including ingredients and instructions for the baking process. Make it once, and it’ll become the inextricable part of your everyday gatherings or a great company during your movie watching nights.
You’ll spend a maximum of 45 minutes on the baking process and will surely enjoy it. And here is the recipe for the baked kale chips!
- A bunch of Kale; this recipe is for 6 cups of chips
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive oil is preferable, but avocado and canola oils are also possible, as I have already mentioned)
- Almond meal enough for spreading on the Kale leaves (Almond flour can be an alternative if you don’t find almond meal)
- ¼ garlic salt or sea salt. Be attentive not to oversalt the leaves!
- And pepper for sprinkling on the leaves
As I promised already –you need just five ingredients to make this yummy snack! You can add some spices and herbs if you think they will give some extra delicious taste to your snack.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F
- Take a large baking sheet and grease it lightly with the olive oil!
- Then take a small bowl, mix there almond meal, salt, and pepper and put aside the mixture.
- Take the Kale and carefully remove the leaves from the tough stalks. Keep only leaves and discard the stalks.
- Put all the leaves in a large bowl, add oil, and start mixing it and massaging with your hands. This is for distributing the oil entirely. Make sure all the Kale leaves get some olive oil. If necessary, add more oil. If some leaves are not coated with oil, they cannot keep on themselves the dry ingredients that you will add later.
- Then add the salt, pepper, and almond meal (or flour) mixture, and massage again; so that all the leaves are coated with this mixture! Do this carefully not to overmix and not to harm Kale leaves so that they don’t lose their look.
- Once everything is done correctly, arrange the Kale leaves on the baking sheet and start baking 20-to 45 minutes.
- When the leaves become brown and crispy, they are already enough baked. Take the baking sheet out of the oven and let the chips become cool.
- Remove the chips and put them in the cups, and serve. If you baked it for eating later, wait until they are already cool, put them in the container and store them.
That’s all. As you see, it is quite easy recipe and you will not get tired at the end of the process. Most of the time of this baking process you just need to wait until Kale leaves are baked and the preparation process just take 5-10 minutes.
Enjoy your cooking, and inform us if you liked this recipe!