HEALTHY AND CRUNCHY HOMEMADE CORN TORTILLA CHIPS
These delicious homemade corn tortilla chips are very crunchy and delicious. It’s a healthy snack which will transform your day into a fairytale
You can never refuse when you are offered a bunch of chips. This is an almost impossible thing to do if you are a great fan of chips like me. But what can we do if we want at the same time to keep our body healthy and not end up eating all the packages of the chips in just ten minutes?
Yes, a real chips lover will get this moment. Chips never last too much at my house. Their days are numbered with minutes. And this situation becomes even worse when your family members are also fond of chips.
This is what made me think about some homemade chips recipes so that we can do both enjoy this fascinating snack and don’t do too much harm to our body.
And homemade tortilla chips are among those recipes. This is among my friends and family members’ favorite snacks. In fact, they are more delicious than the ones you buy from stores and differ in their less oily and salty nature.
So, if you have tortillas, oil, and salt at your house, this can turn your day into a real fairytale. These are all the main ingredients that you need to make these crunchy, delicious, healthy, fresh, and golden chips.
It’s a very simple recipe and a quick way to fill your day with some delicious and healthy snacks. Just 3 ingredients! 25-30 minutes of making process, and your chips are ready. You won’t have any excuse not to make them if you are not too lazy.
You can make these chips in three ways; you can fry them, bake them in the oven or microwave. In fact, all three methods are fantastic and promise fascinating results. But if you don’t want to get too many calories, you can skip the frying version.
I have already mentioned that this recipe requires three basic ingredients: tortillas, oil, and salt. Well, you can develop the recipe a little bit and also use some other seasonings or spices for the chips along with salt. Also, you can make toppings for the chips, or sauces, etc.
The baking process is very fast. You just take the tortillas, cut them into triangles. Then brush each side of the tortilla pieces with oil. To make this process much easier, I can tell you a trick.
Take a whole tortilla and brush it with the oil, then take another tortilla and put on it. In this case, you don’t need to brush both sides, the other side of the tortilla automatically gets brushed when you put it on the already brushed tortilla. Then do the same thing with all the other tortillas.
Then cut the already arranged tortillas like pizza in 6 pieces. In the end, you will get equal triangle pieces. Arrange the tortillas on the baking sheet and sprinkle the salt or other seasonings also. Then preheat the oven and put the baking sheet into the oven. Let it be baked for 8 to 10 minutes.
Be careful while baking, and don’t go away from tortillas. You should check them from time to time and rotate the pan.
How to guess that your chips are ready?
Good question. Well, when you see that the edges of your chips are crunchy and they begin lifting off the pan, it means that your tortilla pieces have already been transformed into delicious and healthy chips. It’s also important that they become dark on both sides.
There are also some important questions that you may have, referring to the baking process or about how to make the chips more crunchy and delicious, and so on. Here are some things which I think will interest you, and you can take it into consideration if you decide to make these chips.
How to prevent the tortilla chips from becoming soggy?
To make them enough crunchy and appetizing, you must, first of all, lay them out on a baking sheet in an even layer. Otherwise, they will become soggy. Another important factor is to avoid overlapping them with oil. This can also be a high threat for their crunchiness.
Can you store tortilla chips, and for how long?
Yes, you can definitely store your tortilla chips. You can use airtight plastic bags for this purpose. To store the tortillas, put the chips into the bags, and keep them for almost 4 days.
What toppings can work great with the tortilla chips?
As I have already mentioned, you can work your imagination and slightly develop this simple recipe, adding some more ingredients such as seasonings, spices, and toppings. If you want to give some sweetness to your tortillas, you can add some cinnamon sugar on them. If you want to get spicy tortillas, you can sprinkle ancho chili powder on them.
I promise that these tortilla chips will be so delicious and crunchy that you will not waste them, eating one after another very quickly. You will have the desire to enjoy them slowly to feel its delicious and mouth-watering taste wholly.
Just give them a try, and they will at once become your favorite snack and an inseparable part of your everyday gatherings or movie watching process. They are healthy and fascinating. They are crunchy to the moon and back. Your friends and family members will ask you every time to bring more and more of them.
I am not joking. These tortilla chips are very convenient. Being very delicious and healthy, they are meanwhile easy to prepare. You will not waste too much time on them.
Now it’s time to leave here the recipe separately. Just try it and write your opinion in the comments. I am waiting for your amazed face )
Recipe for homemade corn tortilla chips
1) Corn tortillas- 6 pieces of tortillas (you had better choose white tortillas)
2) Vegetable oil – this is for brushing tortillas
3) Salt – some pinches of salt to sprinkle on the chips
4) 1 tablespoon cumin
5) 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
6) 1/2 teaspoon pepper
The last three spices are optional. It’s up to you to decide whether to add them to your tortilla chips or skip them. It’s for giving some extra delicious taste to your chips.
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Take a baking sheet and grease it lightly with oil.
2) Take one of the tortillas and brush it with oil, then take the other one, put it on the already oiled tortilla. Do the same with this piece.
3) Continue this process with all the tortillas, putting them on one another. You don’t need a lot of oil, but pay attention to the outer edges of the tortilla so that they also get brushed with oil. It’s an area that’s easy to miss.
4) Finally, it’s time to cut the tortillas. When you have finished brushing all the tortillas with oil, take a sharp and large kitchen knife and cut them like pizza, doing 6 main cuts.
7) Take the oiled baking sheet and arrange the tortilla wedges in a single layer on it. Place the wedges with the un-oiled sides facing down so that they have contact with the oil on the tray.
8) Make sure you don’t overlap the oil too much as it will make your chips too soggy. Sprinkle a pinch or two of flaked sea salt over the tops. Make sure that all of the wedges get a touch of salt.
Or here is another way for coating the tortilla pieces. For that purpose, take a mixing boil. Add all the tortilla pieces in it. Drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle spices and seasonings on the tortillas. Then mix the tortillas to be sure that all of them are coated with the mixture.
9) Take the tortilla pieces, put them on a baking sheet, and transfer the baking sheet into the oven.
10) Bake the tortilla pieces for 8-10 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet after some minutes, and be careful not to burn the chips.
There also two other ways of making them instead of baking in the oven. You can also fry it or microwave it. The fried tortillas are the best ones; however, it’s also a great way to get lots of calories. So if you don’t want to get fat, try the other two methods.
11) When you notice that they are crunchy enough and their edges start lifting from the pan, they are ready.
11) Well, this means that you can already remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the chips cool slightly. I know they are inviting, but you should wait a bit more. As they cool, the chips will continue to crisp all the way through.
12) When the chips are cool enough, test one of them. If they are enough crispy, it’s time to enjoy them. If you would like to make them crunchier, return the baking sheet into the oven and bake them for another 2 or 3 minutes.
13) Finishing the baking process, let the chips to become cool enough. If they are already cool, remove them from the baking sheet and serve.
14) You can also store your chips to eat later. Use an airtight plastic bag or container to keep them for later.
Enjoy your chips! See you soon and bring for you more healthy snack recipes!