BEST RECIPE FOR POPCORN CHICKEN
This Popcorn Chicken Recipe will transform your everyday family gatherings into a real paradise. It’s very crispy and delicious. Meanwhile, it’s easy to make and will immediately become your family’s new favorite.
Due to this simple and quick recipe, you can make crunchy and mouth-watering popcorn chicken in a very short time. It’s one of the most popular snacks throughout the world and is included in menus of lots of restaurants and fast food centers. KFC is especially famous for serving this kind of dish. With this recipe, you can now enjoy it also at your home and eat as much as you want as they are very addictive. I guess you don’t want to see the whole KFC visitors looking at how you are eating one after another. So, making it at your home, you will avoid such kind of problems.
You can enjoy this flavorful and crunchy snack with any kind of sauce you want. You can also serve it with salads, different kinds of pasta, cheese, etc.
I am sure you will be surprised how simple this popcorn chicken recipe is. You only need a few ingredients to make this happen. It’s not only simple and delicious, but it’s also the best recipe that you will ever find. They are even better than the ones you buy from stores.
This recipe also allows you to add your favorite spices and herbs, which can be region-specific for the place where you live. You can make the popcorn chicken spicy if you are a fan of spicy snacks just by adding your favorite spices or making the spicy sauce. You can serve this for dinner with salads or other dishes, but you can also enjoy it just as a snack watching movies or during friend gatherings. You can even prepare them ahead and store them in the refrigerator if you want to keep it for later eating. And then, you can take it out, wait until it comes to room temperature, and fry them in a few minutes.
Let’s pass to the preparing process so that you are convinced of how yummy and addictive popcorn chicken you will get in the end.
The first step in this process is cutting the chicken. Cut the chicken breasts into small bite-sized pieces. Here I will give you a great tip to get the beautiful cuts. Use a very sharp kitchen knife and make sure that your chicken breasts are half frozen.
Marinating the chicken breasts before preparing them can add some extra flavor to your snack. So, if you are not in a hurry, I strongly recommend marinating them with buttermilk.
Another great way to make your snack more flavorful is to add spices. The following ingredients are among my favorites. But you are free to choose your favorite ones, it’s just a recommendation.
- Ground Black Pepper
- Red Chili Flakes
- Cayenne Pepper
Coming back to the preparation process, let’s see what our next step is and what we should do with chopped chicken breasts. To save time, we can let the chicken pieces rest for a while until we add vegetable oil to a frying pan and let it heat on the medium setting.
Our next step is to make the mixture in which we are going to dip our chicken pieces. For this purpose, we need 3 bowls to make three different dipping mixtures. In the first bowl, we must add garlic salt and flour and mix them, the second bowl is for buttermilk, and the third one is for the bread crumbs or panko crumbs.
Finally, here comes the dipping time. We should dip the pieces according to the same sequence we prepared the mixtures. First of all, we should dip the pieces into the garlic salt and flour mixture, and then we dip them into the buttermilk, which is followed by bread crumbs. Be careful while dipping, to make sure that all the sizes of breast pieces are coated with all the ingredients. If you want to do double-dipping, dip the pieces again in buttermilk and then in the crumbs.
When all of this is done, we can start frying the chicken pieces. Take the pieces, and put them in the oil and start frying them until all sides are brown. It usually takes 3-4 minutes to fry each side. Now the popcorn chicken is ready at last. Have you noticed that this recipe is beyond simple?
You can serve them with whatever you want. You can also add other spices or seasonings in the already-fried Chicken pieces or even serve without them.
Here I also share some tips which you can follow to make your snack more delicious and crunchy.
TIPS ON MAKING POPCORN CHICKEN
- Bread crumbs are one of the key ingredients for this recipe. But there are also alternatives for this ingredient. Instead of bread crumbs, you can choose panko crumbs, crushed corn flakes or crushed crackers.
- Brining the chicken breasts before making it is also one of the most important steps you can follow to have the best popcorn chicken. For this purpose, you can use water, add there yogurt or curd, and some spices, and mix it. Then put the chicken in the mixture and let it brine for four hours or more. You can leave it there overnight and then use the chicken. These two steps are very crucial if you don’t want to get dry pieces of chicken.
- Another important factor you must consider is the right temperature.
- We cannot but mention here that instead of frying the chicken pieces, you can also bake them in the oven or prepare in the air fryer. Oven-baked popcorn chicken is a great way to save some calories. If you want to make them in this way, you should bake 7-10 minutes on each side under the temperature of 400 °F. Use also the broiler, in the end, to make them crunchy.
The air fryer is another great way to prepare the popcorn chicken. Again you should cook under 400 °F. Use the cooking spray if you decide to make it in this way. Spray it on the air fryer basket, then arrange the pieces in a single layer and cook them for 8-10 minutes.
- What refers to storing the chicken, it’s possible to store them in both ways already fried chicken and coated chicken pieces. Use the airtight container to store the fried chicken and reheat them in the oven before using it.
You can also store chicken pieces after dipping them in three mixtures and keep them in the refrigerator for even months until you have time for frying them.
I think you will make the best popcorn chicken even if you use all the above-mentioned tips. Good luck and enjoy your new snack with friends and family!
RECIPE FOR POPCORN CHICKEN
Chicken Breasts – 2 breasts (boneless and skinless, chopped into cubes)
Oil – for frying or baking
Bread Crumbs (or alternatives) – 1 cup
Flour – 0.5 cup
Buttermilk – 1 cup
Red Chili Flakes
1) Add the vegetable oil to the pan and heat on the medium setting.
2) Chop the chicken breasts into small, bite-sized cubs
3) Take 3 bowls and make three kinds of mixtures. In one of them, put the garlic salt and mix it with the flour. In the second one, put the buttermilk and bread crumbs for the third mixture. Take the chicken pieces and dip them respectively in the garlic and flour mixture, buttermilk and bread crumbs. You can also do double-dipping into the buttermilk and again into the bread crumbs. Make sure that all the sides of the chicken pieces are coated.
4) Take the pieces and put them into the pan and fry them for 3-5 minutes on both sides or until they become golden brown.
5) Take a paper towel, and line it on a plate, put it next to the stove. When the chicken pieces are fried enough, take them from the pan and put them on the plate.
6) Add the spices and seasonings if you want and serve them hot. You can serve with ketchup or other sauces.
If you want to bake them in the oven or in the air fryer, bake 8-10 minutes on each side under the 400 F! Use the vegetable oil for greasing the pan, in case of the oven. Use cooking spray, if you want to make in the air fryer.
If you want to store the popcorn chicken, put the pieces in the airtight container, and keep in the refrigerator.
If you want to prepare them for frying, not the same day, dip the pieces into the three mixtures and put them in the refrigerator. You can keep them even for some months until you have time to fry them.
It’s also possible to marinate the chicken before preparing the popcorn chicken. For that purpose, use yogurt or curd to make the mixture, add water to it, and add some spices also. Let the chicken be marinated in it for 4 hours or even overnight and then use it to make popcorn chicken.