Oven-roasted crispy chickpeas for delicious and healthy snack-lovers
There are many people who like to spend most of their time in the kitchen, making and creating something new every time with the help of complicated and unique recipes. I can bet they do a great job, and they are real kitchen-lovers. But what about the people who are not fond of those long-lasting kitchen procedures and want something that is made fast and easy.
Have you ever heard about crispy oven-roasted chickpeas? If you haven’t ever made this and don’t know fascinating recipes for it, allow me to do the honors and introduce you to this fantastic and mouth-watering snack.
If you think that you and kitchen are as far apart as heaven and earth but won’t mind trying some delicious snacks; if you are always in a rush and can’t afford to spend a large amount of time in the kitchen; if you need something just for an evening snack; if you are not a fan of mushy food, then that’s what it’s all about.
You can eat them endlessly…
Chickpeas are always a great choice for satisfying your hunger if you adore them blended into velvet hummus. Meanwhile, they can serve as a fantastic snack to accompany your movie-watching or friend gatherings.
These oven-roasted chickpeas are crispy, salty, delicious, and easy to eat by the handful. You can scatter them on salads, add to roasted vegetables and portions of pasta, to name just a few.
Let’s combine their advantages: they taste, divine, they are easy to prepare, you don’t need too many ingredients to make them, and last but not least, they can be a healthy vegan snack. You may think that the words snack and healthy cannot be compatible, but alternative realities exist! Yes, they keep some proteins even after being roasted!
Where else can you find such an easy recipe and bake such an incredible thing only with three basic ingredients canned or cooked chickpeas, olive oil and salt. I don’t mention the spices and herbs as it’s your choice to add them on the chickpeas or not. But, of course, it’s a fantastic way of getting them some extra delicious taste.
If you are fan of snacks but at the same time desire to keep you healthy, you can also get introduced to this fascinating recipe for baked kale chips. (link for Kale chips recipe I have already written)
There are two methods of preparing them; you can make them on the stove or in the oven. I would recommend the second one, though the first is also a fantastic way of making them. To be honest, we should mention that preparing them in the oven takes a little bit longer than on the, but in that way your chickpeas will be much crispier.
Before introducing you to the recipe, let me give you some essential tips about how to treat these chickpeas.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING SPLENDID CHICKPEAS
As any recipe, this crispy chickpeas also need to be treated in a right way to produce their best taste. So, here are some key factors of their making procedure which you should follow to succeed in the end.
- Dry them as much as possible. In this way, they will become crunchier. After rinsing them in the colander, you can use dish towels for later drying procedures. You had better leave them there for a couple of minutes and use that time for other household activities or for making another dish such as salads, snacks, etc. In this way, you can manage to do several things and your chickpeas will get quite dry which is one of the most important factors when baking according to this recipe.
- Use much olive oil. Remember, the more you skimp on the oil, the less crispy chickpeas will be. But make sure not to overuse the olive oil.
- Find the best type of chickpeas for this recipe. Different kinds of chickpeas taste different while making according to this recipe. That’s why try to find the one that has the most delicious taste.
- Eat them hot and fast. It’s not a good idea to store the chickpeas for later eating. Even if you are keeping them, make sure that you keep it at room temperature. It’s for not losing their crispiness. And keep in mind; never refrigerate them. This makes them chewy very quickly. You had better keep them in a jar or in a bowl covering them with a piece of foil.
Some more advice here; never put them in the containers if they are still hot. It would be better if you leave them in the baking sheet to become cool. Only when they are cool, transfer them into the containers and store. Otherwise they will lose their crispiness. They will not become cooler in the containers and will stay moist. Moisture won’t help them keep their crunchiness.
- Use spices and herbs to add some flavor to them. Here is a list of spices that you can use for this purpose
- Garlic salt
- Cayenne Pepper
- Lemon zest
- Rosemary zest
- Curry powder
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika, etc.
You can also add some seeds; they are recommendable for this recipe. Among those seeds you can include sesame, mustard, seeds, etc. All the seeds, spices and herbs you need to sprinkle when the chickpeas are baked already and are taken from the oven, still hot. This will help the spices and seeds get stick to the chickpeas.
That’s all about the tips. Now let’s jump to the preparing process. Here you will find the recipe, including the ingredients and the making process.
- Canned chickpeas – 2 cans (However, it depends on how much you want to prepare.)
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Spices and Herbs; paprika, rosemary zest, cumin, lemon zest, or other favorite spices; you can add whatever you want. Tastes differ!
- Preheat the oven to 400-425 degrees F. It’s better to make it a little bit hotter than too cold.
- Take the cans of chickpeas and open them. As I have already mentioned, the drier the chickpeas, the crispier they will become after baking. So, at first, drain them dumping from the can into the colander and then move them to the dish towel and continue drying process. Leave them a couple of minutes to become as dry as possible. I am sure that it’s hard to resist the temptation and want to prepare them as soon as possible, but this is for your own benefit. So, be a little bit patient to get the awesome result! I guess both you and I aren’t a fan of the moist chickpeas.
- Have you noticed the white outer layers of chickpeas? You had better remove them before sending them into the oven. It’s not a difficult job. You can do it while watching television, or during a phone or Skype call talking with your friends and relatives.
- Now it’s time to transfer them to the oven. Take the baking sheet and sprinkle the chickpeas. You had better make one-layered chickpeas so that all of them become crispy. Drizzle the olive oil on them, then add the salt and pepper, but don’t rush to add the herbs and spices. It’s still earlier for that step. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake the chickpeas for 30-40 minutes. During this period, it’s recommended to take the baking sheet once or twice and shake the pan. You can even notice that some chickpeas become open like butterflies.
Here is more advice for making them crispier. You can bake it first 10 minutes without oil and add the oil after 10 minutes and transfer back into the oven. If you are short of time, you can skip this step, but if you have enough time and patience, you are recommended to do this.
- Are your chickpeas baked? If yes, remove from the oven and sprinkle the herbs and spices you have already prepared. Make sure you toss them with spices immediately after taking from the oven, but not earlier, as the spices may burn and get bitter.
- That’s all. Now it’s time to serve. Put your chickpeas in the container and serve them hot and crispy. Don’t keep them too long as they may lose their crispiness.
Besides serving them as a separate snack, you can also use these chickpeas to add salads, other dishes, or roasted vegetables. They are universal.
I know you are surprised about how fast and easy the process of making these chickpeas is. So, have you ever met such a simple but at the time very promising recipe? Maybe, they aren’t as good as your everyday potato chips, but chickpeas can be a delicious and healthy alternative for your everyday snacks.
Now you know what to do with a can of chickpeas sitting in your cupboard and what a wonderful secret it holds behind.
Enjoy your eating, and be careful not to get addicted too much. They are inexplicably yummy and irresistibly inviting! And they are eaten as easily as their baking process is J